How to Write a Report Paper by Using a Free Example
The purpose of a report is providing a detailed account of some event/research/experiment/etc. in a clear and concise manner. You will need to consider this when writing this kind of paper. If you have no prior experiences with working on reports, you should surf the Internet in order to find several examples to study. They are usually free and sometimes come equipped with explanations of certain points.
Guidelines to Writing a Report
The following guidelines should help you understand how to write a report that will impress your professors.
- Like an essay, a report must consist of three main parts: introduction, body and conclusion. It must also be written in formal language.
- A report should present information, not arguments. It must consist of short concise sentences in order to make it easy for the readers to scan the paper quickly.
- You can use numbered headings, graphs, and illustrations to make the report easier to understand.
- Presentation and style play a very important part in making a good report. You should use subheadings and lists to make it easily readable.
- The parts that make up a report must stand out clearly, both in content and in presentation.
- Any conflicting and irrelevant data must be excluded from the report at the editing stage.
- Every recommendation and conclusion you include in the report must be supported by solid evidence.
- If you need to make an abstract for the report, you will have to write it after the paper itself is complete. This will ensure that the abstract is concise and accurate.
- The introduction must state the purpose of the report and explain what the paper coves in detail. Be sure to provide the readers with some background information.
- The conclusion mustn’t present any new ideas. However, it should include suggestions for future actions. Bear in mind that every suggestion must be a logical conclusion from a corresponding line of thought presented in the body of your report.
Please note that the requirements a report must meet will vary depending on its subject and your professor’s personal opinion. This is why you should discuss this paper in great detail before starting to work on it. Think carefully about the questions you will need to get the answers for. You will need to discuss both the content and formatting requirements.
Although presentation is extremely important for reports, be sure that you don’t make the mistake of putting the paper’s appearance before content.