How to Write an Autobiography Essay
Writing about yourself can be fun. You certainly will know your subject. The hardest part might be narrowing down exactly what part of your life you wish to write about in the essay.
Use the following tips for narrowing down your topic. Trying to cover your life from birth until now would be very hard to do and it would be long enough for a book.
Use these tips when narrowing down topics for your autobiographical essay:
- Consider writing about a big event in your life or a milestone.
- Ask other people to give you input on the event or the milestone.
- Humorous autobiographical essays are fun to write and to read. Think of a funny event in your life and write about it.
- Write about your goals and dreams. What you want to achieve in your lifetime says a lot about you.
- Write about a day in your life to give your reader a small glimpse into your world.
- Embrace yourself. Do not worry what others may say about your essay. Be confidant with who you are and enjoy revealing yourself to your teacher and or classmates.
- Discuss a hobby or talent that you have, when you started it, and if you plan on doing for a lifetime.
With an autobiographical essay you will not need to worry about the MLA format, in-text citations, or a Works Cited sheet. The paper will be informal. You will be able to use a first person point of view.
Start early with your autobiographical essay and do not wait until the last minute. Make sure you follow all of the instructor’s directions. If you are concerned that classmates might make fun of you if you have to read it, remember that they will also have to read it.
If you find that your paper is too general or too lengthy, use an outline to help rein in the paper. Also avoid mentioning too many family names, as you do not want to confuse your reader. You know the family tree, but they do not. If your essay needs a flow chart to follow the characters, you will need to adjust it.
Have fun while writing your autobiographical essay. You may discover some things about yourself. In addition, consider keeping a copy of the essay, so you can one day read it to your spouse or children!